[Sca-cooks] Re: Finger foods

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Wed May 1 16:59:45 PDT 2002

Sure. Read the recipe. Follow it. It's pretty self-explanatory. Except on
that one issue that shall remain nameless but involves a drawing's
interpretation. And two exaulted cooking peers verbally battling willy-nilly
in the aisles. We were all pretty much livin' under the rock in those days.

Cusky's really are not finger food. But with the right filling mix, they are
divine!

I made the recipe many years ago for an event and lived to tell the tale (my
computer crashed and lost most of my work or I'd forward the redaction). It
was enough of a success that my apprentii made 'em again a little over a
year ago. Not a recipe for a huge event, though, unless you've got several
pasta makers who can work quickly but still produce a wonderfully thin dough
. And they don't freeze well---the apples and pears lose a lot in the
freezing.

And just to torque someone off, (hey, I'm an agitator, what can I say?)we
used a square ravioli press for the feast's batch, but hand-made the test
batches. But after trying it both ways, I vote for Master A's
interpretation. Mostly on the grounds of convenience and logic.

So There!

Cheers

Aoife

See the original debate in Stefan's florilegium (click "food", then scroll
down the menu to the "c" word.

The original: (th) subs for the thorn letter, all cribbed from the
florilegium.
A mete (th)at is icleped cuskynoles. Make a past tempred wi(th) ayren, &
so(th)(th)en nim peoren & applen, figes & reysins, alemaundes & dates; bet
am togedere & do god poudre of gode speces wi(th)innen. & in leynten make
(th)i past wi(th) milke of alemaundes, & rolle (th)i past on a bord, &
so(th)(th)en hew hit on moni perties, & vche an pertie beo of (th)e
leyn(th)e of a paume & an half & of (th)reo vyngres of brede. & smeor (th)y
past al of one dole, & so(th)(th)en do (th)i fassure wi(th)innen. | Vchan
kake is portiooun. & so(th)(th)en veld togedere o(th)e 3eolue manere, ase
(th)eos fugurre is imad:
& so(th)(th) boille in veir water, & so(th)(th) en rost on an greudil: &
so(th)(th)en adresse.

(drawing omitted cause it does not translate well to text---someone once had
it webbed, though).

> ..um..gee I'm gonna hate doing this but...
> Anybody got the recipe for cuskynoles?  Wonder if I can make them look
like
> they are flying?
> ...there..I said it...now watch things fly..
> Olwen

Oh my.... Now you've done it.

Avraham