[Sca-cooks] Re: Bad Feast (humor)

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri May 3 16:06:57 PDT 2002

> > A food song? Not that I know of, and 1776 is my favorite musical.
There's an
> > amazing counterpoint number called "Dear Mr. Adams", but no food
content.

> > Avraham
>
> How about Franklin's turkey ballad
>
> Ron

If you're thinking of  "The Egg", it's not, really... it isn't even about
turkeys (or eagles, for that matter).

"We're waiting for the chirp chirp chirp
of that eaglet being born,
waiting for the chirp chirp chirp
on this humid Monday morning
in this Congressional incubator
Lord knows the temperature's hot enough
to hatch a stone, but will it hatch an egg?"

The reference to turkeys is an argument between Franklin, Adams and
Jefferson as they wait while Congress deliberates on the Declaration of
Independence. They argue about the National Bird of the about-to-be-born
United States; Jefferson advocates the dove, as a symbol of peace, Adams the
eagle as a symbol of glory and power, and Franklin the turkey because it's a
native bird and represents sustenance. Of course, we know who wins. "He's
obnoxious and disliked, did you know that?"

Avraham