[Sca-cooks] Food Songs: The FIlk

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sat May 4 23:31:51 PDT 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> Maybe, but I _very_ highly doubt it. This is not Ross Bagd... ba...
> Dave Seville's (Seville was a pseudonym) kind of material. Barnes and
> Barnes (one of whom is/was indeed Billy Mumy) did record it, probably
> in the late 70's, using a similar kind of mechanical voice
> enhancement. But that was just for the refrain; the rest is sung
> normally, or as normally as such a song can be sung.

Barnes and Barnes are Bill Mumy and Robert Haimer.  They ordered fish head
soup at a chinese restaurant.  It inspired them to write down the song on
a napkin.  Their album was released in 1979 by Lumina Records and the song
debuted on the Dr Demento show.  The rest is history.

Technically it isn't filk, but Bill Mumy's being on B5 brought it to fandom's
attention.  I think he recorded some things with Tangerine Dreams, but I was
never fanatical enough to follow up.  They're only songs, it's not like
they're recipes!

Ariann