[Sca-cooks] Food songs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 6 08:55:14 PDT 2002

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>I dunno...the version I heard (and, as is the case with this sort of thing,
>there seem to be many) says that the woman is told to "...feed him eggs and
>marrowbone...."  but, as it does mention marrowbones, it is still food!

Yup. No argument there.

>And, again, the version I've heard does indicate that she did drown!  In
>fact, the husband seemed to take a great deal of satisfaction from having
>turned the tables on her!

I suspect we may be looking at two different versions of the same
song, or rather two songs based on the same piece of folklore. Not
surprising since that happens even today. Witness the permutations on
Rudy Ray Moore's (Olwen and Stefan: "WHO?!?!?") "Signifying Monkey"
proto-rap (in classic R&B parlance, a "toast" or "jive") for example,
set to different tunes and different lyrics, but basically the same
story.

Anyway, I wasn't really disagreeing with your account; I just
remembered a version of the song quite clearly, and it wasn't clear
to me that you remembered the details, so I wasn't sure if you were
remembering something else or simply had only a vague recollection of
the song.

But yes, it certainly does qualify as a food song, and a good one at that.

Adamantius