[Sca-cooks] Gjetost recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 6 09:15:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach RAHagen777 at aol.com:
>Dear friends:
>     I wonder if you could kindly send me a recipe for making gjetost cheese.
>I would be most grateful.
>     Thankfully,
>     Alma Hagen

I don't have a recipe, but I gather that the process involves, as
with making real ricotta, the re-cooking of whey. The difference is
that instead of simmering the whey and skimming or straining off
solids as they form, you simply cook the whey down and evaporate the
moisture, which results in a  slight caramelization of the sugars and
a different texture. (It is smooth, but firm, because the curds are
somewhat broken down again in the long cooking. I don't know offhand
if gjetost will melt.)

Adamantius