[Sca-cooks] Potatoes, revisited

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue May 7 06:33:25 PDT 2002

IIRC, Neither is North American.
The confusion seems to come from the fact that occasionally the Jerusalem
Artichoke was called a potato in some of the early descriptions of Virginia
and Florida.

I think the white potato was first encountered in Brazil, while the sweet
potato was first encountered before that, in the Caribbean and Central
America.

Alas I do not have my references with me.

I did come across a reference to the White potato being used in ruff
starching by the Elizabethans, because potato starch did not muddy the
colors ( colored starch such as purple, red and blue being something of a
fad for a short time in the 1580's )

Brandu

Love is like a boomerang, It only comes back to you if you throw it really
hard.