[Sca-cooks] snake

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue May 7 07:14:17 PDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> At 05:18 PM 5/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
> >Actually the association is to the snake in
> >the Garden of Eden and the Expulsion...
>
> Yes, I am well aware of that- could help but be, as I had to read sermons
> by Jerome and Origen and... yeah. Not to mention 30-odd years in
> fundementalist churches.
>
> The reference I made was more food- specific. Peter had a vision in Acts
> 10:9-16, in which a 'great sheet' full of nasty things is lowered and he is
> encouraged to eat- and he refuses, because the animals, reptiles, etc, are
> unclean. And it occurred to me that this is just the sort of thing that
> would have been used as an argument against eating slimy things.;-)

Except that the passage you are referring to is the argument for
Christians not keeping the laws of kashrut--after Peter says no, they're
slimy, then the voice responds "Do not call anything impure that God has
made clean." So really it's an argument *for* the eating of slimy things.

Margaret

ps--my father says that rattlesnake tastes kind of like cobra