[Sca-cooks] what did they do with dirty tableware?

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue May 7 13:42:18 PDT 2002

'Lainie scolded me with:
--------
Stefan! Bad! No biscuit! Don't wipe your knife on the tablecloth- on your
napkin maybe, but nor the tablecloth. Nor do you wipe your face on the
tablecloth.
--------

I thought napkins were a post-period development. Let's assume
a 14th Century feast here.

-------
No biscuit, and you should go help the laundresses for a few days!
-------

I'm asking about when I am a guest at someone else's Manor, what is
proper. At my own manor, I hire the laundresses or more exactly,
my household staff does. If I want to wipe my knife on the
tablecloth, I will. If they don't like it, I will give them my
permission to seek work elsewhere.

Stefan li Rous
Head of the Manor
stefan at texas.net