[Sca-cooks] what did they do with dirty tableware?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 15:42:58 PDT 2002

On 7 May 2002, at 13:42, Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:

> I thought napkins were a post-period development. Let's assume
> a 14th Century feast here.

As it happens, I just taught a class at a local schola on medieval
table manners.  Although most of the period courtesy manuals are
from the 15th and 16th centuries, there are some that are older.
The 12th century "Urbanus Magnus" by Daniel of Beccles
mentions napkins used to wipe ones hands after washing.  He also
instructs diners to wipe their knives on a piece of bread, and not to
lick it or scape it clean on edge of his plate.

> I'm asking about when I am a guest at someone else's Manor, what is
> proper. At my own manor, I hire the laundresses or more exactly, my
> household staff does. If I want to wipe my knife on the tablecloth, I
> will. If they don't like it, I will give them my permission to seek
> work elsewhere.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> Head of the Manor

It's not the opinion of your staff that might concern you, but the
opinion of your guests.  Do you really want to be considered a
villain-bred slob by all the local nobility?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net