[Sca-cooks] Spring plantings

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 7 15:46:09 PDT 2002

>Oh!  I haven't even found the "garden" yet..but the herb garden is a
>surprise!  Last summer, despite loving care from a drip irrigation
>system...the plantings succombed to the drought.  Or so I thought.  I
>walked
>around the house to check out how bad the weeds were...and found a half
>given
>over to two kinds of parsley (curled and flat leaf...some may be cilantro)
>with the lemon balm making a stand in the rear.  Two kinds of mint are
>making
>a break for it..and shall have to be contained so they don't take over.
>And
>two kinds of thyme are actively vying for the space that is left!  For some
>reason...sage just doesn't seem to "take".  I guess they weren't
>"dead"...just needed the mild winter and all this rain.  Now...I wonder
>what
>my "plant lady" at market has that is interesting this year???
>
>Etain

Say Etain, have you checked your soil?  Mayhap the reason your sage won't
take and live is because it is fond of a very rich soil, not a neutral, and
it doesn't like to keep it's feet wet.  It is likely to get root rot.  Might
try planting it in a different location, maybe with a little fish emusifer
or just a fish head.
Olwen