[Sca-cooks] what did they do with dirty tableware?

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Tue May 7 17:23:10 PDT 2002

"Harris Mark.S-rsve60" <Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:

>I thought napkins were a post-period development. Let's assume
>a 14th Century feast here.

I don't know much about the 14thc., but I'm fairly certain that napkins were around in the 16th.  I'd be surprised if some form of napkin *didn't* exist at that point - I know it's bad to assume that if something existed in antiquity, and then existed again during the Renaissance, that it was around in between, but...the Romans most certainly did use napkins.  (There's this cute little poem by Catullus, 1st c. BC, about an uncouth dinner guest who tries to steal these fancy linen napkins that were souvenirs from Spain.)  So, napkins definitely were not first invented after 1600. :-)

Vittoria