[Sca-cooks] Seeking Metal Eating Utensil Maker

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 8 00:03:02 PDT 2002

Anahita said:
> I have a picture of an interesting "SCA-period" eating device that
> was found in the Levant and apparently made during the Islamic
> period. I suspect it is Byzantine not Muslim in origin, but anyway...
>
> It is a long narrow rod with a simple hinge at each end. Hinged at
> one end is a spoon bowl, hinged at the other end is a three-tine fork.

We've talked about at least one "spork" utensil before. But this
is the first time I remember hinges being mentioned. What are these
hinges for? So that it folds more compactly for travel? If they don't
lock in place or they aren't at least fairly stiff, I would think
this utensil would be rather difficult to eat with. It seems that
at the wrong moment it would drop that spoonful of soup into your
lap.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net