[Sca-cooks] Potatoes, revisited

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 8 04:05:09 PDT 2002

Tannahill is interesting, but very minimal as are most of the survey works.
The most accurate single piece I've run across is in the Cambridge History
of Food.

Far more useful to understanding the spread of the potato are the various
contemporary references.  The freeze dried instant mash is actually a
description of how the natives prepared potato starch for extended storage
at high altitude.  I've seen no evidence that the Spanish used the technique
for their stores.

Bear