[Sca-cooks] Seeking Metal Eating Utensil Maker

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 11:08:44 PDT 2002

Mirhaxa wrote:
>Can you show us the picture, Anahita?
>
>On Tue, 7 May 2002 lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > I have a picture of an interesting "SCA-period" eating device that
>  > was found in the Levant and apparently made during the Islamic
>  > period. I suspect it is Byzantine not Muslim in origin, but anyway...
>  >
>  > It is a long narrow rod with a simple hinge at each end. Hinged at
>  > one end is a spoon bowl, hinged at the other end is a three-tine fork.

As i said in a message you perhaps haven't read yet, i intend to scan
the photo and put it on my website. When i do that, i'll notify the
list.

I was searching for the photo this morning, looking through book
after book, and i was beginning to despair, but naturally you find
something in the last place you look...

I may not get it scanned until next week, but here's the info:

_Islamic Art and Patronage: Treasures from Kuwait_
edited by Esin Atil (it's a Turkish name and i'm leaving off the
special vowel stuff)
New York: Rizzoli International Publications, Inc., 1990
ISBN 0-8478-1366-5

Here is the text for Item 42 on page 142:

----- begin quote -----

Inlaid Silver Spoon and Fork
Iran, 12th century
Length 14.8 cm (5-7/8 in), width 3.3 cm (1-1/4 in) [i assume this is
at its widest point - the diameter of the spoon bowl]

This remarkable piece combining a fork and spoon attests to the
creativity and practicality of the Muslim artists. The folding spoon
and fork was cast in silver, engraved, and inlaid with niello (a
black enamellike alloy). Its decorative scheme incorporates animals
as well as Arabic inscriptions written in kufic. Placed around the
bowl of the spoon are the phrases: "Power is God's, sovereignty is
God's, thanks is God's, greatness is God's, glory is God's, reverence
is God's."

A bird occupies the central medallion of the spoon and a winged lion
appears in the roundel between the spoon and fork. The contrasting
background, filled with niello, highlights the figures.

----- finish quote -----

In addition, there is a roundel at the top of the fork end with a
bird in it - the two prongs (i was wrong, only two) have foliate
decoration at the top and sides as well.

The object is quite elaborate and i would be content with a simpler
version, with the spoon bowl, the connecting bar (handle), and the
fork all simplified - no niello, no kufic, no foliate designs -
although the roundels with critters would be good to keep. The hinges
are pretty simple (you'll see when i get it scanned). And i would
accept iron, silver, bronze, or modern pewter (although it's probably
not strong enough) but no brass or lead :-)

Something i was reading recently suggested that well-to-do Muslims
ate with forks. The information was not quite clear as to in which
places and at what times (or i don't remember it).

Anahita