[Sca-cooks] Non-Europeans (mostly, but not completely, OT)

Wed May 8 11:46:58 PDT 2002

The idea that spices came to Europe from Polynesia is an error.  Polynesia
is one of the three main division of Oceania and covers roughly the area
between Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island.  Most of the spices came from
the South China Sea west into the Indian Ocean.  Oceania is to the east of
the major spice areas with Micronesia being the closest to the spice
islands.

Bear