[Sca-cooks] Non-Europeans (mostly, but not completely, OT)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed May 8 14:09:42 PDT 2002

At 04:31 PM 5/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> I chose to be Near (not Middle) Eastern and i live in Europe (Cordova
>> in southern Spain). I chose my time and place because women didn't
>> have to wear veils (and European women do most of the time),
>
>*blink* where did this come from? European women are depicted wearing
>headgear a lot, but not necessarily veils. Am I misunderstanding what you
>mean by a veil?
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

There certainly are different ideals of 'veils' depending on where you are,
in time and place. To someone in Islamic lands, a veil frequently means
that part if not all of the face is covered. And hair is always covered.
OTOH, I know of no western European culture that covers the face. Covering
the hair, yes, and sometime the neck (usually called a wimple). But not the
face.

Sooo, Anahita, what _did_ you mean by veils?

'Lainie