[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed May 8 16:35:48 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/8/2002 4:45:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

> Where I come from, I see the threat as being less the Non-european
> cultures than the culture of 'who cares'? If someone wnats to make an
> effort to do non-European culture, I'd rather see that than a floofy
> shirt, leather vest, jeans and amry boots.Or mundanes with a tabard over
> it. Or tunic with tshirt with jeans and Doc Martins. I'm not talking about
> newbies, here. I'm talking about long-term members of the SCA. And don't
> even get me started about peers who don't bother with Garb on Friday night
> of a camping event.

I have to agree with Jadwiga.  One of my biggest pet peeves is the idea that
one only really needs to wear garb for the Saturday of a weekend event - not
on Friday night, after you've set up, and not on Sunday morning, even if you
aren't packing out until 2 pm, and intend on shooting archery or whatever in
the morning...As far as I'm concerned, and what I tell newcomers is, you
should be in garb for the duration of the event, minus the time spent setting
up and breaking down if you choose to do that in mundanes.  And while the
rules only require an attempt at garb, does a tunic over visible mundanes
really count as an attempt?

On the other hand, I wish we had at least an "attempt at period food" rule
for food provided by the sponsors of the event...At the very least, avoiding
blatantly nonperiod stuff being the minimum attempt.

Brangwayna