[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 8 17:40:08 PDT 2002

Also sprach Mike Newton:
>Drake to use a American in Japan reference, the Baseball players who go over
>to play there are refered to a Gajin (actually all foreigners are) but it is
>NOT permitted for a Gajin to break any Japanese baseball records. They will
>walk them or not play them when they come close to the Sacred Japanese
>records. If that is not racist, then what is?

The martial arts "actor" Steven Seagal is a 7th dan black belt in
aikido, the only non-Japanese aikidoshi to have attained the rank.
Initially it was denied him, but he offered a _very_ large donation
to the Japanese structure of the World Aikido Federation, and then
they allowed as how he might be sufficiently skilled after all.

I don't like to think of the motive as open racism, but it pretty
clearly indicates something of a closed society, of which there are
many in the world.

Adamantius