[Sca-cooks] Re: (Period cookery questions)

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu May 9 13:45:40 PDT 2002

El Hermoso Dormido said:
I AM quite interested in references to books on medieval cookery (though
less interested in "cookbooks" [i.e. books of recipes] than I am in
books about cooking styles, habits, and equipment), though, so I
certainly wouldn't turn down a reading list...
--------------

Well, there might be a few files in the Florilegium that might
be of interest to you.

Since you earlier talked about period cooks, maybe this one:
p-cooks-msg       (43K)  3/18/02    Comments on specific period cooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-cooks-msg.html

And on their work environment:
Kentwell-Hall-art (25K)  6/25/98    A period kitchen at a Living History site.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Kentwell-Hall-art.html

And a bit on period cooking tools can be found in the
FOOD-UTENSILS section:
mortar-pestle-msg (10K) 11/22/00    Mortar and pestles. Sources.
ovens-msg         (73K)  1/18/02    Medieval ovens and SCA camp ovens.
spits-msg         (14K)  7/20/01    Period and SCA spits for roasting meats.
strainers-msg     (15K)  1/10/02    Period sieves and strainers.
utensils-msg     (166K)  4/11/01    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net