[Sca-cooks] medieval scandinavian sources

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Thu May 9 23:44:22 PDT 2002

On 10 May 2002 at 1:15, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > "The socalled Harpestreng cookbook (13th century)"
> > http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/harp-
> > kkr.htm
>
> I'm sorry, but from discussions here, I don't think you have found
> a scandinavian or even a northern cookbook. The Harpestreng manuscript,
> actually a lost manuscript and several daughter manuscripts, seems to
> have originated in southern Europe, not northern, and it's surviving
> copies just happened to end up there.

Oh, drat. What I found was definitely in a
Scandinavian language, but....

> For more details, see this file:
> Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The oldest
>                                        cookbook in the Western world.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Harpstrang-cb-msg.html

OK.... so someone in Denmark went to all the
trouble of translating it. Does this imply that they
actually used the recipes?  Or just that they liked
collecting knowledge of things they'd never use?

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis:
> Libellus de Arte Coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book by Rudolf
> Grewe and C. B. Hieatt contains all the various versions of this plus a
> commentary and English translation. It came out last year.

Adding it to the Amazon wish-list... thanks.