[Sca-cooks] Mongol garb & stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 10 06:33:12 PDT 2002

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>and they're wonderful folk to deal with.  We have camped next to them for
>the past two years at Pennsic...and hope to do so again this year!
>
>Kiri

Puppy, et al, are very good people. He's originally from my neck of
the woods (and may still live there, but I'm not sure; nowadays I
only see him at kingdom events). The only reservation I would have
about some of his stuff (which is invariably beautiful) is that the
primary evidence _that I am aware of_ for the periodicity of his
wares is that they are found in modern Mongolia, so it may be a
traditional/grandfather clause kind of authenticity. We do know that
certain Mongolian habits have changed over the years between, say,
the seventeenth century and today (remember the guy on this list a
year or so ago who insisted that the Mongolians were using chilis
since the dawn of time because he had a recipe from an old lady who
had gotten it from her grandmother, who had in turn gotten it from
her grandmother, etc., so obviously Temujin ate them too... this is
just an example of the kind of thing I mean.)

I know Puppy has done some research into period Mongolian stuff, but
I really don't know how far it extends. But yes, he'll sell you a
beautiful del which makes a pretty good quick fix.

Adamantius