Unique persona ideas- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Japanese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 11 18:24:48 PDT 2002

Lainie said:
> Ok folks, this is part of my list. As usual, the caveat 'My
> notes/books/etc.' are 180 miles away. This is what I scribbled down at
> Stefan's goading last night (and Stefan, you are welcome to lift this if
> you want.
>
> Now, the what's and why's:
>
> Moorish Spain-
> 	Of course, you can be a Moor, but I'm interested in the offbeat. Jews in
> Moorish Spain had rather interesting lives. They were relatively unmolested
> by the Arab authorities, and while they had to pay the fines and taxes for
> not being Moslem, they were allowed to practice thier own religion fairly
> consistently (as always there were occasional exceptions). They were much
> valued by the Arabs as doctors and scientists, and of course, as Bankers.

Thank you, Lainie. This is the sort of stuff I thought would be most
useful, rather than a simple listing of different cultures. This kind
of description gives folks an idea about the culture and perhaps an
idea of why they might want to consider it further.

I will probably be adding this to the Florilegium as an article, unless
some folks come forward with similar descriptions of other cultures
and then you may have to share the credit some.

Stefan

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net