[Sca-cooks] Period Hollandaise?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 12 16:15:57 PDT 2002

Also sprach 'bella:
>the roux I was taught to make is not fried in fat..
>it is dry flour browned in a cast iron frying pan.
>it is used to both thicken a sauce and color it.
>the darker the flour is browned the stronger the flavor of the
>'gravy'.   I generaly use lard to mix the roux in to make it not
>lump when it is put in the broth.

But what you're describing is called "flour". When cooked in the fat,
it becomes roux. Beurre manie is a related uncooked product; it
almost sounds like you're making beurre manie with toasted flour and
lard instead of butter. Making and working with the classical roux is
a little different.

BTW, the darker the flour is browned, in or out of a roux, the less
thickening power it has, and the more you need to produce the same
effect.

Adamantius