[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP 'fredo sauce????

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 19:07:18 PDT 2002

Adamantius replied to my questions with:
> Well, only inasmuch as it's another dish prepared in the serving
> bowl. It involves pancetta or cured hog jowls (I forget what those
> are called in Italian), diced and cooked with onions, garlic,
> sometimes some herbs and other vegetables, mixed with cheese and raw
> eggs, tossed with the hot pasta until the eggs are cooked into a sort
> of creamy scrambled-egg sauce.)

Doesn't sound like any pasta carbonara I've ever had. Vegetables?

Are the eggs blended together/whipped before hand? Or just mixed in
still seperated?

> I think in both cases, these used to
> be either home-style dishes, or from a time when waiters in
> restaurants used to actually prepare food at the table, which is more
> or less a dead art, as far as I can tell.

Huh??? Waiters used to prepare food at the table?? Rather than
just deliver it to the table? I've seen it from time to time, but
I just figured that that was the unusual and often done for
theatrics as much as anything else.

> Casualties of this demise
> include real Cesare Salad (not named after the Julio-Claudian
> Imperial Family and so not spelled that way), the aforementioned
> Spaghetti Carbonara, Fettucine Alfredo, real Beef Stroganoff, and
> various game ragouts, salmis of wild duck,

What is a "salmis"? And how is "real" Beef Stroganoff supposed to
be made? I've had some good home made stuff, but lately most of
what I've had comes frozen from the store.

Stefan
Still got to do the Gyros, but then maybe on to Beef Stroganoff...
Went to my first Dim Sum chinese meal with my mother and mil and
family for Mother's Day. Pricey, but interesting. Hard to keep
track of what is available. I think I need labels...

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net