[Sca-cooks] Re: Pennsic potluck

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 21:44:40 PDT 2002

Avraham commented:
> > We really need to start planning for it this year,
> > folks. Are we getting an A & S tent? Or shall we do it
> > at Orluk? Whjich day? Who will bring paperware? Like
> > that....
>
> Since I'm staying at a hotel and won't have cooking access, I'll volunteer
> to contribute disposable plates and utensils and so on.

Yes, those can be in demand. Some paper or foam cups might be nice also.

I had that problem at the first SCA-Cooks pot luck. I was flying in
and wasn't bringing any cooking gear with me. I made the pine nut
candy. I had a bit of problem with it in the humidity, but that can
be worked around. And I imagine there are a number of other period
recipes which can be made a head of time and that will keep until
the second week of Pennsic.

For instance, some period mustards. In fact, these will probably be
improved with the additional week or two of aging.

And as alluded to, there are a lot of the candies and desserts
that will keep for the week or two.

Some of the pickled foods, including compost, might also work for
this.

Or if you are driving in, so you have room, but won't have cooking
facilities in camp, there are beverages which you could make ahead
of time such as some of the jalabs. It might be nice to try something
other than Sekanjabin.

Also, I'm sure that you could make arrangements with the cooks in
SPCA to borrow their cookfire and facilities if you wished.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net