[Sca-cooks] Cloche Oven

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Sun May 12 21:59:55 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/12/2002 10:35:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
wolfsong at ida.net writes:

> Any idea if it was used any later than that?  I originally saw the idea on
> "Good Eats" where Alton Brown was cooking Prime Rib this way, I talked to
> an
> engineer friend and he said it would work for bread so I figured this was a
> bit more sightly than the old Coleman oven.  Any other information you
> might
> have would be fabulous!
>
> Kristianne
> Wolf Song Day Spa & Herb Shop

You should look in the Floriligeum, there are many references to cloche ovens
there.  Also, "English Bread & Yeast Cookery" by Elizabeth David has an
entire chapter on ovens.  On page 156 she talks extensively about the cloche
or pot oven and it's use in times ranging from ancient Greece through the
19th century in England.  She also references several period sources which
describe these ovens and their continued use.  Also referred to as a cottage
oven.

Constance

(if you don't have or can't get access to this book, let me know and I will
bring it with me to the next event we are both at)