[Sca-cooks] Strawberries and Snow

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Mon May 13 04:16:32 PDT 2002

Actually I can do this this afternoon. I have all the ingredients except the
rosewater. And I live in the woods: lots of sticks to be had :)

Will keep the list posted.

However, having said that, I'm wondering if you get that great satiny
texture to the "snow" which the whites lend the cream when they are whipped
seperately. I'm not convinced they are supposed to be whipped together from
a raw state, Master A.

The recipe says:
Take a pottel of swete thycke creame and the whytes of eyghte egges, and
beate them altogether wyth a spone, then putte them in youre creame and a
saucerful of Rosewater, and a dyshe full of Sugerwyth all, then take a stick
and make it cleane, and than cutte it in the ende foure square, and therwith
beate all the aforesayde thynges together, and as ever it ryseth takeit of
and put it into a Collaunder,....

So to me this says, if anything, that the egg whites are to be whipped
first, then the cream, rosewater and suger added, THEN the corpus is beaten
again, lifting the froth to a colander to drain. So technically the cream
would not have been beaten as much as I did in my redaction, and a fair
amount of cream would likely have drained away. I chose my method for
economical reasons, but maybe now I'll give it a shot with a split stick in
the above order and see what happens.

Aoife

ADAMANTIUS wrote, in part:
What I'm curious about is the fact that everybody seems to ignore the
actual whipping method described in the recipe. I have, too, when
I've made this, because it goes against everything I've been taught
about food chemistry and proper technique, and it is undeniably
faster to use the separate beating technique.
<<snip>>
I haven't done this [in the manner described in the recipe], and
probably won't get to it anytime soon. If anybody does, would they
let us know?