[Sca-cooks] Re: Strawberries and Snow

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 13 23:10:46 PDT 2002

Aoife details her experiment with making "snow" and says near the end:

> 9: 30. I've beat the bejeebers out of this stuff and it isn't changing in
> the least. I abandoned the stick and went back to the whisk, thinking an
> air-volume and speed equation might be my problem. No such luck. What I have
> in my hands is a bowl of satiny, but still semi-liquid frothy stuff that
> resembles the texture of cooked icing in it's runny-but-frothy stage. It
> hasn't changed by now, and I doubt it's going to.

When I tried this snow recipe last summer, this sounds exactly what
happened to me. Mine looked very much like the description you give
above. When I talked about this on the list, they pointed out several
possible errors, including contamination with egg yolks. Now, I'm
wondering if I was doing this right. Or at least according to the
directions.

Maybe it's time to try this again. And it would be good on strawberries.
And they do seem to be in season again...

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net