[Sca-cooks] Tools for Playing with Food

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 19:31:06 PDT 2002

> >A few months ago, there was discussion on list of a tool that you
> >could put a paste-like substance into, and press it out through
> >variously shaped plates... (not a Play-Do Factory)
> >
> >Now that i am starting to make strange things out of sugary
> >substances, i'd love this device.
> >
> >I believe that Olwen got one - naturally. Any hints where i might be
> >able to find such a thing?
> >

>It's called a clay gun. I got them at the Rag Shop, a local craft store
>chain, in the clay sculpture section.
>
>Regards,
>
>Cindy

Actually, I have tried using the thing for sugar plate and it doesn't work.
The paste is too stiff.  Works great with marzipan and icing and chocolate
but not with sugar.  The holes are too small.  It's kind of a syringe
looking thing with tiny disks you can put in the end to make different
shapes.  I suppose if you are working with a more plyable sugar then it may
work but I can't imagine hot sugar staying that well in the cylinder without
leaking out and burning you.  I actually think a big playdough press would
be what you need.  I can imagine making some cutout plates of shapes for it
would not be so difficult for someone with some wood and a dremel.
Just my thoughts.
Olwen