[Sca-cooks] beet sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 14 22:54:00 PDT 2002

Olwen asked me:
> >Interesting. Talking to a friend in Moscow (Posadnik), who has written
> >several articles for the Florilegium, beet sugar is all he can get there.
> >He says cane sugar used to be fairly available until relations with Cuba
> >and the Cuban subsidies went away. Now cane sugar is rare and corn
> >syrup is practically unheard of.
> >
> >An interesting set of opposites.
> >--
> >THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>
> Gee Stefan, wonder if your friend would be interested in making a trade?  I
> always wanted a pen pal in Russia.

The problem is that the wages in Russia are still quite low, compared
to here. There have been, surprisingly to me, a large number of changes
in Russia in the last few years. Many food items are now available on
the grocery stores there and large grocery stores similar to the
larger ones in the US have opened there, at least in Moscow. There
is also a large amount of home canning and garden growing.

Posadnik has been wanting more contact with SCA folks. Unfortunately,
the Moscow SCA chapter has folded and the closest other SCA folks
to him are in western Europe. He has had some contact with the folks
in Drachenwald.

His English is good, although sometimes the phrasing is off. But
it is certainly better than my Russian. :-) That is one reason I've
been somewhat slow in getting some of his articles into the Florilegium.

Anyway, I'm sure he'd love to hear from anyone interested in writing.
He is also on our SPCA household list, but lately that's been pretty
quiet. He has done a fair amount of research on period Russian foods.

It would be nice to have him on this list, but I think the volume
of this list, especially with all the off subject stuff, would be
a bit much for his current equipment and the fact that he pays for
his line usage by the minute and not a set price for unlimited time
like most of us.

His persona name is Posadnik. His mundane name is: Alexey Kiyaikin.
And his email is: posadnik at mail.ru

I will copy him on this message.

For those insterested, Posadnik's articles in the Florilegium are:
Birch-Brk-Wrt-art (10K)  3/ 2/02    "Old Novgorod Birch-Bark Writings"
                                       by Posadnik.
Russian-Snaks-art (10K)  4/23/02    "A Russian Snack!" by Posadnik.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net