[Sca-cooks] "Blattes de Bysance" in the Baghdad cookery book

'bella ldybella at earthlink.net
Wed May 15 02:41:19 PDT 2002

yup we got em here too in florida....  palmetto bugs.. once took
dates stuffed them
and told a freind they were fried bug.
'bella

: I have always thought that dried dates, when you pit them and
squash them
: flat, look alot like the Cockroaches we had when I lived on the
coast of
: South Carolina. Commonly known as Palmetto Bugs.
:
: Probablly not what they are talking about tho.
:
: -Serena da Riva
:
: ps: I made 400 ravioli's last night.
: >
: >
: > --- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
: > > Does anyone who what this mystery ingredient is?
: > > Our cook's
: > > guild is doing Middle Eastern for the next meeting,
: > > so I've been
: > > reading through the Anonymous Andalusian and
: > > al-Baghdadi.  The
: > > literal translation seems to be "cockroaches of
: > > Byzantium".  I
: > > thought I'd seen this discussed somewhere, but a
: > > Google search
: > > isn't turning anything up.
: > >
: > >
: > > Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
: > > Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
: > > rcmann4 at earthlink.net
: > > _______________________________________________
: > > Sca-cooks mailing list
: > > Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
: >
: >
: > =====
: > Never a horse that cain't be rode,
: > And never a rider who cain't be throwed....
: >
: > Do You Yahoo!?
: > LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
: > http://launch.yahoo.com
: > Sca-cooks mailing list
: > Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
: