[Sca-cooks] ravioli was "Blattes de Bysance"

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed May 15 08:23:41 PDT 2002

> >-Serena da Riva
> >
> >ps: I made 400 ravioli's last night.
>
> Why?  What kind?
>
> Olwen the curious

Greetings,

They were made for a feast that will be taking place Mem. day weekend. They
are in the opening course and I am serving 125 so I (and my dillgent
assistant Kaitlen) made a little over 3 apiece.

The recepit is out of Sabina Welserin, I think I have it here somewhere:
31 To make ravioli
Take spinach and blanch it as if you were making cooked spinach, and chop it
small. Take approximately one handful, when it is chopped, cheese or meat
from a chicken or capon that was boiled or roasted. Then take twice as much
cheese as herb, or of chicken an equal amount, and beat two or three eggs
into it and make a good dough, put salt and pepper into it and make a dough
with good flour, as if you would make a tart, and when you have made little
flat cakes of dough then put a small ball of filling on the edge of the flat
cake and form it into a dumpling. And press it together well along the edges
and place it in broth and let it cook about as long as for a soft-boiled
egg. The meat should be finely chopped and the cheese finely grated.

Because of the preponderance of cheese elsewhere in my feast we did the
chicken ones.

4 Pounds Spinach, blanched & chopped small
2 Roasters roasted and picked clean, shredded, then chopped small
16 Eggs
Salt&Pepper
8 packages (50 per) pre-made won-ton wrappers Shang-hi style

We did them in batches because we wanted to keep the chicken and the
won-tons cold. If the won-ton wrappers get too warm they make a huge mess.
Mix all of the spinach with the chicken. Measure out 2 cups of the mixture
into a smaller bowl and then add 2 beaten eggs, salt & pepper. Mix together
well. Put about a teaspoon of mixture on the wontons & seal with water. The
amount of filling you put on is kind of touchy feely. Do not overstuff but
don't be stingy either.

We froze them in layers on sheet pans and they will be transferred to
zippies for long term storage.
I hope they go over well. I wanted to do them because I have never seen a
ravioli at a feast before.

Sorry, I did not take pictures. ;)

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva