[Sca-cooks] Sweet pickled eggs source

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Wed May 15 15:53:22 PDT 2002

    Hello!

    I've been busy, and in lurk "delete" mode for the past month.  One of
the things I've been busy with is a {SCA} wedding.  A nice finger food
picnicy spread.

 I used a recipe from "DianaFiona" from a long time ago {feb 19th 2000} Ovos
Molho Vinareta a Alagrave {preserved eggs}.  Now the Shire Chronicler wants
to print the menu & my recipes.   I don't recognize the name, is she still
on the List?  does anyone know where the recipe originated from?

 Wasn't there another pickled eggs recipe being discussed not too long ago?
Is it different from this one?

 OVOS MOLHO VINARETA A ALAGRAVE (PRESERVED EGGS)   (Serves 80)
> 84 (7 dozen) large chicken eggs
> 1 gallon cider vinegar
> 10 bay leaves
> 4 to 7 large whole unbruised cloves peeled garlic
> 2 teaspoons sea salt
> 1-? teaspoons ground turmeric
> 1 teaspoon whole mustard seed
> 1 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
> 1 stick cinnamon
> ? teaspoon whole coriander seed,
> ? teaspoon dried rosemary
> ? teaspoon dried sage
> ? teaspoon whole clove
> ? teaspoon whole celery seed
> Outer peel of two oranges, grated
> 2 cups light honey
>
> Turn the eggs upside down in their container and let set one hour at room
temperature.  Put eggs in large kettle with a trivet in the bottom to keep
the eggs from touching the inside bottom of the kettle.  Fill kettle with
cold water, 2 inches above the eggs.  Heat to rolling boil.  Immediately
remove kettle from heat and let cool to room temperature.  This method of
hard boiling eggs prevents them from becoming rubbery.  Drain eggs and
remove shells and inner membrane as gently as one can to prevent damaging
the tender white of the eggs.

> Meanwhile, pour vinegar into non-reactive kettle with tight-fitting lid,
such as stainless steel, enameled or glass Dutch oven, do not use aluminum
or iron.   Put all the remaining ingredients except the honey into the
vinegar. Bring to boil, occasionally stirring.  Cover, reduce heat and
simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in honey and turn off heat when honey is dissolved.
Cover tightly and let kettle set while you are peeling the eggs.

> Put peeled eggs into a large 3-4 gallon crock or non-reactive container.
Pour over them the spiced vinegar.  The eggs should be covered by 1 inch of
fluid.  If more fluid is needed, pour in a little more plain cider vinegar,
apple juice, wine or spring water. The eggs should be stored in a cool place
several days to two weeks until ready to serve.

> TO SERVE:  Remove eggs from the pickle and serve halved lengthwise, whole
or use as basis for deviled eggs.  Serve on an appetizer tray or with salad.