Wok Cooking Was Re: [Sca-cooks] I'm back

Marian Marian at TheRosenbergFamilies.Net
Thu May 16 19:15:27 PDT 2002

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 00:22:14 -0500
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> From: Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net>
> Subject: Re: Wok Cooking Was Re: [Sca-cooks] I'm back
>

> >Since they say I'll only be teaching 20 hours a week, I expect
> >to do my best to immediately find someone who is willing to
> >trade cooking lessons for additional English lessons.
>
> Have fun.  Remember that you are, and will *always* be a gwai-loh, a
> barbarian...  The worse thing you can do is arrive with any kind of attitude...

So I have been warned.  Though, from what I have read on
teaching English in Asia China can be one of the better
countries for the teacher-to-be.

> >(I'm an incorrigible enough cook that expensive frying pans are
> >on my list of things to bring with me.)
>
> Don't bother.  They are heavy, bulky, and pointless to bring.  You'll get
> to use what's local, which likely means wok.  Only way to learn is to do.

Even with a 200+ pound weight limit, I'll only bring the one,
but free Le Creuset frying pans should not spend all their time
in storage.

> Besides, while fancy pots and pans are helpful, a good cook can create
> delectable meals using just about anything...

This is true.  But a nice cast iron past should grace every
kitchen.  I once bought cheap frying pans, I paid more than I
did for my thrift store cast iron.  I needed to spend every
minute of cooking watching my food because it would burn
otherwise.  I couldn't do any food prep while food was in the
pan and I couldn't maintain more than two pans at once.  I'll
not do that again if I can avoid it.

> >I usually cook vegetarian-esque so this isn't a real problem.
> >(Meat is stored in the freezer, defrosting meat requires
> >significant planning in advance.  Vegetables do not require
> >defrosting.)
>
> Thank you.  I had *never* heard that argument for being a vegetarian.  I
> shall remember it! :-)

Don't get me wrong.  I like meat.  But meat is more effort than
I am usually willing to spend on cooking for just me.

-M