[Sca-cooks] cranachan vs athol brose (WAS: athol brose)

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri May 17 21:36:14 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus MacIomhair" <angus at iamawitch.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 6:14 PM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] cranachan vs athol brose (WAS: athol brose)

Was written:

> *short vacation from The Rock (TM)*
> FWIW, in every Scottish cookbook I've read the "pudding version" of Athol
Brose has been listed under the name Cranachan.
> Does anyone know when/why/how the two got mixed up?  If I were to jump to
conclusions I'd say that most (if not all) mix-ups I've seen have been
on-line).

Modern recipe for the pudding Cranachan aka Cream Crowdie from "A Feast of
Scotland"

Ingredients

1/2 pint double cream (1 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon Drambuie
3oz. pinhead oatmeal, toasted (1/3 cup)

Toast the oatmeal in a frying pan over a fairly high heat until it is
lightly browned.  Sift out any dust.  Whisk the cream to a soft consistency,
then mix in the Drambuie and tasted oastmeal.  Serve in glasses.

Variation, fold in about 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) of raspberries.