[Sca-cooks] CAne vs Beet sugar

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri May 17 21:07:30 PDT 2002

At 10:51 PM 5/17/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Solveig commented:
>> U&I sugar used to be beet sugar while C&H sugar used to be cane sugar.
>
>I'm sorry, these are probably companies but I don't recognise the
>initials. Who are "U&I" and "C&H"?

Stefan, sometimes...

U&I- Utah and Idaho. They grow sugar beets there, and guess what U&I sugar
comes from!

C&H- California and Hawaii. They grow sugar cane there ;-) You could buy it
at the Star Market, next to the celery. Chew and chew and chew... until all
the sugar is out and you're chewing on straw...

Somebody's tutu (don't remember who anymore) used to make a sort of
homebrew, with sugar cane all beat up and soaked until it started to
ferment. It smelled ugly and had a powerful punch. I always wondered if
that's why she only had three teeth...

'Lainie
-ok, I'm, hungry for fresh guava and star fruit that haven't lost all their
flavor in shipping