[Sca-cooks] food question

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun May 19 19:10:43 PDT 2002

--- 'bella <ldybella at earthlink.net> wrote:
> the salad.. tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, red,
> yellow and
> green peppers..
> made me wonder if there was, somewhere a list of
> what are
> considered
> 'new world foods'

It's not a mqatter of "considering", it's a matter of
the species only being discovered on the side of the
Atlantic Ocean containing the American continents.

As far as a list, most of us can tell you off the top
of our heads. For starters, there are:

Most beans (not including peas, favas, chickpeas, or
lentils)
Tomatoes
Peppers, bell and chiles, but not peppercorns
Corn (maize)
Chocolate
Vanilla
Turkey
Maple syrup trees (sugar maples)
Peanuts
Potatoes, both sweet and white
American bison (buffalo)
Guinea pigs

There are others, but these are most of the best
known.

Old World imports include:

Honey bees
Pigs
Chickens
Starlings
Horses
Cattle
Housecats

among other things that have been around so long that
we tend to forget they were imported.

> I know tomatoes are.. but are
> green pepers or
> cucumbers?

All of the bell and chile peppers are new world.
Cukes, I believe, are Old World.

> While watching Food Channel, there was this show
> about Morroco
> and Tajines.. and then one about India..   This chef
> cooked a
> 'traditional' meal.. It looked like a giant paella
> to me.. but he
> had
> Tomatoes in it.  That got me to wondering how long a
> dish has to
> be cooked
> before It is called ''traditional' any ideas?

Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary states:

One entry found for tradition.

Main Entry: tra·di·tion
Pronunciation: tr&-'di-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English tradicioun, from Middle
French & Latin; Middle French tradition, from Latin
tradition-, traditio action of handing over, tradition
-- more at TREASON
Date: 14th century
1 : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of
thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice
or a social custom)
2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and
customs by word of mouth or by example from one
generation to another without written instruction
3 : cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs,
and institutions
4 : characteristic manner, method, or style
- tra·di·tion·al  /-'dish-n&l, -'di-sh&-n&l/ adjective
- tra·di·tion·al·ly adverb
- tra·di·tion·less  /-'di-sh&n-l&s/ adjective

Practically, "traditional" means that when Westerners
"discover" something they aren't familiar with in
another part of the world, it's obviously a
traditional item.

In SCA, if you do something twice, it's a tradition.
We're ready for our "tradirional" Harbinger's Bash in
SPCA- this means that this will be the 4th time we've
done it..... In SCAdian terms, that's an established
tradition ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,