[Sca-cooks] food question

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun May 19 20:38:23 PDT 2002

--- Karyn Schmidt <karyn at triwest.net> wrote:
> > --- 'bella <ldybella at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > the salad.....<snip>
> > > made me wonder if there was, somewhere a list of
>  what
> are
> > > considered 'new world foods'
>
> Philippa Alderton <phlip_u at yahoo.com> answered:
> > It's not a mqatter of "considering", it's a matter
> of  the
> species only being discovered on the side of the
> Atlantic
> Ocean containing the American continents.
> >
> > . For starters, there are:
> > Most beans (not including peas, favas, chickpeas,
> or
> lentils)
> > Tomatoes
> > Peppers, bell and chiles, but not peppercorns
> > Corn (maize)
> > Chocolate
> > Vanilla
> > Turkey
> > Maple syrup trees (sugar maples)
> > Peanuts
> > Potatoes, both sweet and white
> > American bison (buffalo)
> > Guinea pigs
> > All of the bell and chile peppers are new world.
> > Cukes, I believe, are Old World.

Well, I said mine was a partial list....

> To that I add part of my list:
> NEW WORLD FOODS
> Allspice (Pimenta officinalis, Jamaican pepper)
> <Trager 53>
> Avocadoes <Trager 53>
> Beans - Kidney bean, snap beans pinto, navy, lima,
> Great
> Northern are New World beans.  <NGME Grolier
> Encyclopedia>
> <Trager 53>

Actually, I figured it was easier to exclude the Old
World beans, than specify the zillions of New World
species ;-)

> Brazil nuts <Trager 53>
> Butternuts <Trager 53>
> Cashews <Trager 53>
> Chocolate <Trager 53>
> Coffee <Scully 66>

Pardon me, but coffee is distinctly Old World....

> Guinea fowl <Trager 53>
> Kiwi <Scully 66>
> Maize <Gies CFW 284> <Trager 53>
> Peanuts <Trager 53> (Native to South America.  Being
> raised
> in Virginia when colonists arrived 17 cent.  Grown
> in Africa
> (nguba ==> goober) by 18-19 cent.
> Peppers (red and green) (Capiscums) including
> paprika
> <Trager 53>
> Pineapples <Trager 53> (called by Columbus because
> it looked
> like a big pine cone). <Trager 56>
> Papaya <Trager 53>
> Pimento <Trager 53>
> Pumpkins <Trager 53>
> Squashes <Trager 53>  (winter squash)

Yeah, I totally forgot about the squashes- although
Europe and the Old World did have gourds, IIRC.....

> Sunflower <Lehner 48>
> Tapioca
> Tomatoes <Trager 53>
> Turtle meat <Trager 53>
> Vanilla native to American tropics. <NGME> <Trager
> 53>
> Black walnuts <Trager 53>
> Banana, rice and citrus fruits were imported to
> Americas
> from Asia.  Yams, cowpeas, coconuts, coffee and
> breadfruit
> were imported to Americas from Africa.
>
> I wish I had the reference for tapioca.  It sure has
> fans on
> the list.
> Geis, Frances & Joseph.  Cathedral, Forge, and
> Waterwheel:
> Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages.  NY,
> HarperPerennial, 1994.  [k T15.G32c]
> Lehner, Ernst and Johanna.  Folklore and symbolism
> of
> flowers, plants, and trees.  NY, Tudor, 1960.  [WPL
> 581.508
> L523]
> Scully, Terence.  The art of cookery in the middle
> ages.
> Woodbridge, Boydell Press, 1995.  [SheboyganPL
> 641.594
> Scu47a]
> Trager, James.  The Enriched, Fortified, Concetrated
> Country-Fresh, Lip-Smacking, Finger-Licking,
> International,
> Unexpurgated Foodbook.  NY, Grossman, 1970. [WPL
> 641.3 T765]
>
> Trager may not be the most reliable source, but it
> was the
> first one on the list.  I didn't bother to add notes
> when I
> found the items mentioned in other books.

Well, I'd love to see your evidence that Scully
decided coffee was New World. The Arabs brought it out
of Asia, somewhere in the 1400s or so, and through
them, it went to Spain, and then to the Americas- off
the top of my head. Likely have the date wrong- just
know that it's well out of my period.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,