[Sca-cooks] food question

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 20 08:24:07 PDT 2002

I don't think that 10 generations is the rule.
At least in modern American cookery, you see
'traditional' used when no one can remember where
they saw the original recipe. I still cringe when
I pick up things like "traditional Amish" recipe
books and the first section contains a "taco salad."
Traditional recipes also get caught up in the oral
culture of cookery that is passed from grandmothers
to daughters to granddaughters where a written recipe
is never used and the ingredients are just ladled out.
If you have had to stand at someone's elbow and record
measurements as they explain the recipe, that's traditional.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis