Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 08:29:08 PDT 2002

>I don't know about Ana, but...  English is my fourth
>language. French being my first, Greek my second, Italian my
>third.  I also am conversant(not fluent) in Sign Language,
>and can understand someone speaking *slowly* in Spanish!

I admit. I'm impressed. I've tried several languages and, although
I can often grasp the concepts, I really don't pick them up
easily.

>I think fluency in other languages is wonderful, as it forces
>you to change your pattern of thinking.  When you reach a
>good solid point, where you are comfortable talking in the
>other language, you often have to change the way
>you think, as syntax is completely different.

I agree. When I was stationed in Europe I would go out on the
town and speak the local lingo. Then, walking back to base I
would have to make a conscious "mind-shift" to go back into
English-mode.

>Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

Gunthar