[Sca-cooks] Re: Languages

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon May 20 08:23:15 PDT 2002

> >I hate to point this out, but the official language of government in Quebec
> >is French.  The official languageS of government in Canada is *both* French
> >and English...
>
>      Theoretically, anyway.  :-)   When I was in Quebec, I don't recall
> seeing many signs in both French and English.  They were pretty much all
> in French only

Ok, this is getting *seriously* off topic, so a brief address to this issue
and then, perhaps we can take this off list? :-)

By law, all signs must be in French in Quebec, because the only official
language in Quebec is French.  There's been a looooooong battle between
province and federal government over there, just it is in the US.  At last,
Quebec was able to retain the right to do that, along with many other
things...  So, while Quebec is part of Canada, many of the laws are
somewhat different.

I'm not going to say what my opinion is on that, or separation, as it's an
incendiary topic that has no place here, but I invite you to email me
privately to discuss if you have interest.  muiredach at bmee.net

Most people dealing with business and or the tourist trade will know some
English.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle