[Sca-cooks] globetrotting

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue May 21 04:10:33 PDT 2002

> We got along fine in French, but the Latin didn't make
> it- she was speaking it with an Italian consonant and
> vowel shift, and I was working from an American vowel
> and consonant shift.

There were only a handful of us who took the fourth year elective in Latin
at my high school (only three years were required). It was the pleasant
custom of the Domina to give a small personal gift to each of her graduating
seniors (she taught all 4 years). Mine was a small button/pin, which read "I
<heart> Yiddish <in Yiddish characters". She told me I was the only student
she'd ever taught who spoke Latin with a Yiddish accent.

Avraham

Many people fail to realize how much of the "New York accent" comes from
Yiddish rhythm and inflection...