[Sca-cooks] globetrotting

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue May 21 04:15:20 PDT 2002

> I also taught myself the Greek alphabeta on my own in jr. high; the
> Hebrew alephbeth while riding on the BART to work in SF; and the
> Arabic alifbet since joining the SCA. And i created a Phoenician font
> for my personal use. Now, none of this means i can understand what i
> read, but i can make approximate sounds...

I taught myself the alphabeta - actually I think I learned it when my
roommate in college was pledging a frat, but I actually went and learned the
characters. My ex, Christos, is Cyprian and speaks Cyprian Greek fluently -
and can't read or write a word. I have to puzzle out what he's saying, and
hope I've gotten it down correctly. Of course, since Greek doesn't have
English's tendency to homophonous forms (does ANY other language?), phonetic
transliteration is usually orthographic.

Avraham