Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

terry palmore palmoret at juno.com
Tue May 21 05:25:02 PDT 2002

Nope no buttons this time,
the way i was raised i agree that learnig the language of the contry you
are living in is a good idea, makes everyone's life easier and how do you
do what you want if you can't understand anyone?   I like my indipendance
too much not to al least make an effort.

Naomi

My great-grandfather, z"lt, by the time he died spoke and read 5
languages
with varying degrees of fluency: Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian, Polish and
English. I'll probably push another button here, but I am astounded by
current-day immigrants who come to the US and are unwilling or unable to
learn the language. The entire concept of "bilingual education" is
bizarre
to me. Just my $0.02.

Avraham