[Sca-cooks] Re: Languages

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue May 21 08:46:36 PDT 2002

>My grandparents refused to teach us Yiddish so that they
>COULD fight in front of us. <grin> When they realized I
>understood what they were saying, they switched to Polish.

I'm reminded of either a book or a movie I saw where the
protagonists were archiologists and one left a message out in
the open where even their enemies could see it. But it just
so happened to be in ancient Greek. Kind of like the Navajo
Wind Speakers in WWI.

But, at the risk of sounding intolerant, I do agree that some
of the incentive for learning English and becoming "American"
is rapidly dwindling. Why, I saw an ATM the other day that was
in Spanish and had a button to push if you wanted it in English!

Oy Vey...

>Avraham

Gunthar