[Sca-cooks] FW: 2000 Year old bread recipe actually helps you lose weight!

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 10:55:02 PDT 2002

That's back?  Gosh, "Hunza" has been a byword of health nuts since the days of
Gaylord Hauser, say the 1930's or so.  The Hunza people are supposed to be a
nearly lost tribe somewhere in the Himalayas whose people top their century
birthday on a regular basis.  I also read that "hunza" is a Hungarian term for
golden raisins or sultanas.

Don't spend the money, here it is.

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
                    2 cups bread flour
                    1 cup whole wheat flour
                    1/4 cup wheat germ
                    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    2 tablespoons butter
                    3/4 cup golden raisins
                    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
                    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                    1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

                    Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in
order your
                    machine asks for. Select the Dough/Manual setting and
start. After
                    the first rise, remove the dough from the machine pan.
Shape into
                    two loaves and place into lightly greased 7X3 loaf pans.
Allow to rise
                    until doubled in volume but not more than one inch above
the top of
                    the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40
minutes.
                    Recipe has twenty servings with 113 calories in each.
Protein is 3 g,
                    fat is 2 g, sodium 131 mg, cholesterol is 3 mg,
carbohydrates are 22
                    g, and fiber is 2 g.

Some possibly more "period" ancient type bread recipes are at:
http://www.utopiasprings.com/chapatti.htm

Selene, Caid