Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 13:00:49 PDT 2002

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Equally as humorous are the people who want to make
> English the "official"
> language of the United States.  It is the official
> language, because the
> business of government is conducted in it and has
> been since it was voted in
> as the official language "in Congress assembled,"
> beating out German by one
> vote.

This is very true.  This came about in early US
history when there was a lot of anti-British sentiment
and at a time when almost half the populace had some
German ancestry.  The one vote that defeated the
proposition was cast by a German immigrant, who said
"If I wanted to continue to speak German, I would have
stayed in Germany.  This is an English-speaking
country and should always remain so." [Or words to
that effect.  I am going from memory.]

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.