[Sca-cooks] globetrotting

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 22:03:13 PDT 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Avraham commented:
> > Of course, since Greek doesn't have
> > English's tendency to homophonous forms (does ANY
> other language?), phonetic
> > transliteration is usually orthographic.
>
> Speaking of translations... Avraham, what did you
> just say? In smaller
> words please, for us simple folks. sigh.

I'm not Avraham, nor do I play him on TV, but what he
said was that English, unlike other languages,
including Greek, has a lot of words with different
meanings and spellings that sound alike- night and
knight, for example. When he writes down what Christos
says, he does it by what the word sounds are, and it's
usually fairly accurate.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,