[Sca-cooks] Re: Sugar paste icing SOS

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 22 08:41:59 PDT 2002

You might try to make another batch and incorporate
the extra dry batch in with a wetter batch, BUT I'd
also check the original recipe very carefully before
making another batch. Perhaps there was a misprint.
Alan Dunn's recipe for flower paste
 calls for 5 teaspoons/25ml cold water; 2
teaspoons/10 ml powdered gelatin; 1 pound/3 cups/500g
confectioners/icing sugar; 3 teaspoons/15ml gum tragacanth;
2 teaspoons/10ml liquid glucose; 3 teaspoons/15ml white
vegetable shortening; 1 medium eggwhite.

There's less gelatin and more liquid used here. Even
substituting gelatin for the gum tragacanth, this recipe
has more liquid for the amount of sugar.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway