[Sca-cooks] RE:Reptilian pronunciation

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu May 23 07:40:38 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

> Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:[1]
> >BBC newscasters say jag-yew-ar for jaguar

>OK, puzzled. How *else* would you pronounce
>"jaguar"? I know Americans tend to turn "e" into "oo"
>at times (hence "noos" for "news"), but how does that
>apply here? Does the "u" go silent, or turned into a
>long "oo", or something?

Down here in the South, the 'ua' gets modified into a very faint
'waah', we pronounce it jag' waahr (with a fully voiced R).  This
is how the Webster's New Collegiate calls for it (jag' war -with
the 'a' as in "cart").  How else would one pronounce it unless you
have an affectation towards fakey British or really are British?

Food content:  anyone got any good recipes for jaguar soup?

Akim

--- Diamond Randall
--- ringofkings at mindspring.com[2]